Safety is paramount in everything we do, and our core value (Safety: Always First). In 2019, we won the President’s Award at the NISO/NISG Safety Awards – Ireland’s premier safety awards event. In 2020, we won the Construction Utility Services Award. We also won a Consistent High Achiever Award, reflecting previous Distinction level or better awards during the previous five years.
SHEQ Policies & Procedures
Mainline operates an integrated management system incorporating Safety, Health, Environment & Quality (SHEQ). All our operations are underpinned by the following accreditations and our structured level 1 to 4 Management System:
- ISO 45001:2018
- ISO 14001:2015
- ISO 9001:2015
- Level 1 – SHEQ Policies & Safety Statement
- Level 2 – SHEQ Management System Procedures
- Level 3 – SHEQ Operating Procedures
- Level 4 – SHEQ Contract Procedures
We take our SHEQ responsibilities seriously and manage them as follows:
- An effective SHEQ management system that provides a clear sense of direction.
- A risk assessment process that identifies all our business risk areas and highlights our control measures to adequately manage our operational risks.
- Contract specific training plans that cover all job functions within Mainline.
- Suitable emergency preparedness and response plans that cover our operations.
- Continuous communication and consultation via our established SHEQ committees.
- Our internal Stay Safe@Work@Home promotional campaign.
- Effective reactive and proactive SHEQ management processes.
- A robust SHEQ inspection and audit programme.
- Contract SHEQ plans that transpose our SHEQ management system into reality.
- SHEQ management review mechanisms at all levels within our business.
Mainline participates in many campaigns to promote SHEQ initiatives. We have been an active member of the National Irish Safety Organisation (NISO) for several years and received a number of safety awards at Distinction level and Consistent High Achiever level.
We were one of the first 200 companies to pledge support to the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH) ‘No Time to Lose Campaign’ aimed at raising staff awareness of the causes of occupational cancer. We also support other campaigns by promotion and participation on an annual basis. These include:
- Carbon Monoxide Week
- Healthy Workplaces for all Ages
- Irish Road Safety Week
- Construction Safety Week
Stay Safe @Home @Work
We operate our own internal Stay Safe @Work @Home campaign on an ongoing basis. The aim of the campaign is to encourage everyone to reduce the risk of accidents, incidents and ill health involving our workforce, family and members of the public at work and at home.
We want to try and expand on this by creating a safety culture where:
- Individuals hold safety as a ‘value’.
- Individuals take responsibility for the safety of their co-workers in addition to themselves.
- All employees are willing and able to act on their sense of responsibility – they can go ‘beyond the call of duty’.
We have created our Campaign Charter:
- Nothing is so important that we cannot take the time to do it safely.
- We will never knowingly walk past an unsafe act or condition.
- We are committed to the principle that all accidents and harm is preventable.